Friday, June 27, 2014

Angels Tee Ball

Ryan started tee ball this year! It was such a great season full of tons of growth we never expected. Shame on us, huh?  But truly, I thought this venture was going to end up like the soccer one did a year ago... sitting in the middle of the field crying while all the kids played around him. He was just too young. This year, he started showing an interest in the sport and with some nudging from our neighbors who were registering their kids, we decided to "see how it goes". We got him all the gear and Jason was super excited about the bright orange Mako bat he picked out for him. On his Angels jersey, he sported the number 5.

For about 3 weeks, there were practices 2 days a week. The coaches taught them the sport and the basics of hitting, throwing, and catching. Ryan, being one of the smallest on the team, really was behind in everything. But he is a super good listener and he takes direction well so he improved quite quickly.  Once the games started, the coaches commented on how far he had come since that first day. Daddy also practiced with him in the backyard daily.  It might have taken a little bribery (20 catches, 20 grounders and 20 hits on the tee = ipad time), but the practice really helped.

As the season progressed, the coaches had never given any game balls out to the players after the games until one day, a few weeks in, they did! And imagine my surprise when they gave that first ball to Ryan. I am a total sap when it comes to my kids that I cried (under my sunglasses). The coach even made a speech about him and why he deserved it. This kid was so dang proud. So was his Daddy! On the way home, he told the story about his first game ball and how it happened and what it meant to him. I just think what a cool thing to happen to a kid and how special it makes them feel to be recognized for a particular job well done. 

Here are some pictures I wanted to remember from this first season in little league. I wanted to make sure I included a picture of him batting, running, catching and throwing...and of course that game ball :) I think I covered all my "bases", hehe. See what I did there? ha!


The score board on Opening Day reflected the year: 2014








Ryan and his game ball against the Giants.


End of the season pizza party at Uncle Howie's pizza


Go Angels! 

I just have to say, Ry had the best coaches too. I thought they were very uplifting and positive with the kids. I loved how they pep talked them, gave them nicknames and high-fived them at every base. I even taught one of the coach's sons when he was in Kindergarten a couple of years ago. Ryan really seemed to enjoy the sport this season and says he wants to keep playing. We figured we will register him for Fall and Winter ball too to keep his momentum going. Hopefully, we will have some of the same coaches! Great players start with great coaches!

No comments: